Today we are going to install our ECS Tuning Transmission Mount Insert Kit into our Audi B8 A4, but keep in mind the installation process is the same for the A7/RS7, C7 A6/S6/S7, and the B8 A4/S4/A5/S5/RS5. The stock transmission mount on your vehicle was designed with rather large voids in the rubber damper, and while this provides superior ride comfort to you in the cabin, it also allows an excessive amount of transmission movement under a load such as acceleration or deceleration. The ECS Tuning Transmission Mount Insert Kit has been designed to fill the voids in the stock transmission mount without adding harsh vibrations or noise into the cabin.
Installing this Transmission Mount Insert Kit on your vehicle will limit unwanted transmission movement, resulting in crisper shifts and a smoother driving experience. This kit is extremely easy to install, only requiring a few basic tools. Read these instructions completely first, and with the project overview under your belt you’ll breeze right through this install. Just to make sure you have everything you need, reference the required tool list.
• Protecta-Sockets (for lug nuts) ES#2221243
• 3⁄8” Drive Ratchet ES#2765902
• 3⁄8” Drive Torque Wrench ES#2221245
• 3⁄8” Drive Deep and Shallow Sockets ES#2763772
• 3⁄8” Drive Extensions ES#2804822
• Torx Drivers and Sockets ES#11417/8
• 1⁄2” Drive Breaker Bar ES#2776653
• 1⁄2” Drive Ratchet
• 1⁄2” Drive Torque Wrench ES#2221244
• 1⁄2” Drive Deep and Shallow Sockets ES#2839106
• 1⁄2” Drive Extensions
• Triple Square Socket Set ES#1910125
• Crows Foot Wrenches
• Hook and Pick Tool Set ES#2778980
• Hex Bit (Allen) Wrenches and Sockets ES#11420
• 1⁄4” Drive Ratchet ES#2823235
• 1⁄4” Drive Deep and Shallow Sockets ES#2823235
• 1⁄4” Drive Extensions ES#2823235
• Plier and Cutter Set ES#2804496
• Flat and Phillips Screwdrivers ES#2225921
• Hydraulic Floor Jack ES#240941
• Jack Stands ES#2763355
• 32oz Ball Pein Hammer
• Pry Bar Set ES#1899378
• Large Channel Locks
• 1⁄2” Drive Pneumatic Impact
• Drill Bits
• Punch and Chisel Set
• Thread Repair Tools ES#1306824
• Open/Boxed End Wrench Set ES#2765907
Hydraulic Floor Jack & Jack Stands
Safely lift and support the vehicle. In the photo we are using an automotive lift, but safely supporting the front of the vehicle on jack stands will give you plenty of room to work.
The transmission mount is located just behind the front subframe, this is what we will be upgrading today.
From this point forward, every photo of the transmission mount will be taken from behind the mount, facing towards the front of the vehicle.
M10 Triple Square Socket & Ratchet/Breaker Bar
Loosen and remove the two bolts and the small bracket which secures the transmission mount to the transmission cradle.
These are “Torque To Yield” bolts and MUST NOT be reused. Replacement bolts are included in the kit.
Inspect the gap around the stock transmission mount and clean out any dirt or debris which may be present. If the mount is cracked or worn out, it should be replaced in order to get the maximum benefit from your new mount insert kit.
Locate the two “ears” which protrude upwards from the base of the new transmission mount insert. Apply a light coating of the supplied polyurethane bushing grease to both “ears”.
There is no need to apply the grease to the entire bushing, only the ears should be greased.
Slide the transmission mount insert upwards into the stock transmission mount. Please take note of the shapes of both the stock mount and the new mount insert, the mount insert is designed to follow the shape of the stock mount, do not install the mount insert backwards.
Insert the new mount bolts through the new mount plate, then thread them into the transmission mount BY HAND.
6mm Hex Bit (Allen) Socket & Torque Wrench
Torque the two mount bolts to 20 Nm (15 Ft-lbs).